Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:40:15 -0600
From:      "Gerry Marcelo" <germar@pair.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How much RAM for newbie install?

Greetings:
I am awaiting the arrival of my Walnut Creek CD-ROM package
of FreeBSD 2.2.8.  I am a flat out newbie to UNIX after years of
Microsoft products.  I wish to learn how to eventually set up a
FreeBSD/Apache server with MS Frontpage 98 extentions for use as a small
Intranet server.

I wish to install FreeBSD on the following "lab" computer to learn.
It will be the only OS on the machine.

i486sx25 overclocked to 33 (chipset escapes me right now)
8megs of ram
2.0 Maxtor IDE hard drive
Trident 8900D video card with 1mg ram
No name multi-io card
No name 28.8 internal modem
OAS brand SVGA monitor

I believe the above equipment will allow an install (5meg minimum,
correct?), but how much ram should I really have to allow me to learn the
following:
1.  How to use the OS, it's filesystem and basic operation
2.  Experiment with Xwindows
3.  Install and become familiar with Apache/FP98 Extentions

This machine will never be used as a production machine...just for me to
mess around with a learn what I can...I guess you might place it as a
workstation class machine.

So how much ram might I need to to get all this done?
Any suggestions on other types of hardware better suited for this task?

Thank you for your assistance.

Gerry