Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2012 13:16:41 +0300
From:      Andrey Simonenko <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To:        Martin Birgmeier <Martin.Birgmeier@aon.at>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/136865: [nfs] [patch] NFS exports atomic and on-the-fly atomic updates

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 08:10:04AM +0000, Martin Birgmeier wrote:

>  - Could you give a concise list of incompatibilities (and even
>  regressions if they should exist at all) of your solution compared to
>  the standard one? - As to the advantages, I am already convinced. :-)

This is the list of difference between "nfse -C ..." (compatible mode
with mountd) and mountd:

1.  All options from exports(5) are supported, except obsolete options
    -o, -n and -m (exports(5) mentions only -o for r/o access) and
    the -webnfs option.

2.  The -alldirs option works as described in exports(5).  Right now
    mountd ignores this option (it was broken almost ~5 years ago).

3.  The -sec option works correctly (mountd incorrectly gives a remote
    system information about security flavors).

4.  If some option overwrites previous option, then new option will be used
    Eg. "/fs host1 -ro host2", host1 will have r/w and host2 will have r/o
    access mode.

5.  If some pathname has wrong option, duplicated address specification,
    then nfse will ignore all settings for this pathname.

6.  If a line is not started with pathname, then nfse will ignore entire
    configuration.

7.  The -index option for the new NFS server will be ignored, since its
    implementation in new and old NFS servers are different.

8.  If several pathnames are given in one line, then they are not required
    to belong to the same file system.

9.  If the -h command line option is used, then nfse will require the -p
    command line option as well.

10. The -2, -e, -n, -o, -r command line options are not supported, there
    are better solutions as command line options or configuration options.

The list of differences between nfs.exports(5) and exports(5) is not
given, since it will require to copy here entire documentation.

Anyone can test whether nfse understands existent configurations without
installing nfse and recompiling the kernel using instructions from this
message:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2010-May/008421.html