Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 2010 12:51:27 +0000
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new port - different versions of the same file - advice needed

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 10:26:08AM +0000, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> I'm trying to make a port of Slatec numerical libraries:
> http://netlib.org/slatec/
>
> This file contains the full sources:
> http://netlib.org/slatec/slatec_src.tgz
>
> However, according to Netlib FAQ: http://netlib.org/misc/faq.html#2.17 ,
> I've got to replace 3 files in this archive by newer versions:
>
> *quote*
> The easiest to use versions of the routines r1mach, d1mach, and i1mach
> are located in the blas directory of Netlib. These versions of r1mach
> and d1mach attempt to determine machine characteristics automatically.
>
> The original versions of r1mach, d1mach, and i1mach,
> in the slatec/src directory, require a user to scan
> their source and to uncomment the statements specifying
> the constants for his particular machine. Constants for some
> architectures are not explicitly identified in the comments
> of r1mach, d1mach, and i1mach. For those architectures conforming
> to the IEEE floating-point standard, and most newer ones do,
> you can locate and uncomment the IEEE-conforming constants in the routines.
> *end quote*
>
> So I need to download http://netlib.org/slatec/slatec_src.tgz,
> extract all files from it, and then overwrite d1mach.f, i1mach.f
> and r1mach.f by the Blas versions:
>
> http://netlib.org/blas/d1mach.f
> http://netlib.org/blas/i1mach.f
> http://netlib.org/blas/r1mach.f
>
> What is the best way to achive this?

What I've done for now is to create a tgz
of the 3 *.f files above, and put it at
http://eis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/blasmach.tgz

I then put in the Makefile

MASTER_SITES=   http://netlib.org/slatec/ \
                http://eis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/
DISTNAME=       ${PORTNAME}_src blasmach

This seems to work, but it relies on blasmach.tgz
being untarred *after* slatec_src.tgz. I guess
this is an unsafe assumption?

many thanks
anton

--