Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 19:05:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rlogind terminal line vs. DOS Telemate

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Dave Babler wrote:

> I just spent an hour or so totally mystified...
>
> A user, running the popular shareware DOS communications program
> Telemate, logged in via rlogin from my BBS. He accepted the terminal type
> `pc3'... but whenever he used programs that need his terminal size, like
> more or pico, it insisted that his screen height was 1 or 2 lines. If he
> logs in using telnet, he doesn't have that problem. If I rlogin and log
> in to his account, my terminal works fine (cons25 and also a minimal
> 25-line ansi terminal from the BBS). The man page for rlogind mentioned
> something about getting the `window size' from the terminal... but it
> doesn't say how it's doing it. I've also tried the ansi and dosansi
> termcaps with no change. Anybody have a clue what's going on here? I'm
> running 2.1-STABLE and at the moment am just in the process of adding the
> tcp_wrapper port.

PC3 refers to a setup for your console screen, and it's very highly
unlikely that the dos program you  mention emulates it.  It's much more
likely that the dos user has it set up to do either a vt100 emulation, or
maybe a tvi925.  It's really likely that the comm program can emulate
more than one, so it's up to you and your user to pick an emulation that
the dos program can do, and that has a litsting in /usr/share/misc/termcap.

It's really unlikely it's pc3.

> -Dave Babler

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |