Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "J. Mallett" <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/11114: make(1) does not work as documented with .POSIX: target

The following reply was made to PR bin/11114; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "J. Mallett" <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: "Tim J. Robbins" <tim@robbins.dropbear.id.au>
Cc: Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>,
	bug-followup@FreeBSD.ORG, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:50:09 +0000

 On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 03:50:09PM +1000, Tim J. Robbins wrote:
 > Please try this patch & let me know whether it corrects the problems
 > with the special .POSIX target. It is against HEAD, to try it on a 4.x
 > release you will need to edit str.c and remove __DECONST macro usage.
 > I realise it's not a particularly clean solution, and I'd be interested
 > to hear how it could be done better.

 I think in the current architecture of make(1), that's probably on the right
 track to doing it, assuming the Startup()/Cleanup() style thing cannot be done
 or that it won't work.  Does any software include a Makefile that does the
 .POSIX thing?  If so, check and see if this works as expected, and check that
 it can get through a buildworld (at least as much as normal make(1) - heh),
 and that there's no significant regression, and I'd say you can pretty much
 go this way, though you might want to add some DEBUG() stuff, as the codepath
 is a little obscured, to me anyway.

 I guess that's all I can think to say right now.
 --
 jmallett@FreeBSD.org   | C, MIPS, POSIX, UNIX, BSD, IRC Geek.
 http://www.FreeBSD.org | The Power to Serve