Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 09:02:48 +0100
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Neal Nelson <neal@nelson.name>
Subject:   Re: Writing a PCI ADSL Driver

I finally got to play with my ENI 3060 at the weekend. It probes as a PCI
ATM adapter. I also found that the debugging symbols and code hadn't been
stripped from the drivers which shipped with my particular card. Windows
attaches its native ATM stack to the card's NDIS5 PCI/ATM miniport driver
and the Alcatel DynaMiTe firmware is clearly visible in the data segment.

I'm planning on writing a HARP driver for this thing eventually so any
advice would be appreciated. The en(4) driver looks a bit aged and scary,
though. Talk about setting onesself a challenge... I bought this card with
the express intention of subjecting myself to that, it's either that or get
a little black box router with ethernet output (or *spit* Windows on the
gateway.)

Julian: How would netgraph fit with ATM?

I should point out that all the NDIS5 entry points are clearly visible, and
I also have a nice IDA library which covers a fair bit of NDIS5.

I've been down with a mystery virus, so haven't made progress elsewhere.

BMS