Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:38:06 +0300
From:      "Nickolay A.Kritsky" <nkritsky@internethelp.ru>
To:        Stefan Probst <stefan.probst@opticom.v-nam.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: Adore worm

Hello Stefan,

Wednesday, November 14, 2001, 5:38:00 AM, you wrote:

SP> Dear All,

SP> thanks so far for good advices.

SP> On my site, there is a webmail form, which is VERY rarely used. About 20
SP> minutes before the hijack, there were three mails coming from that form,
SP> where the sender gave addresses etc. in Romania...

SP> Status update here:

SP> I am right now in the background using an FTP client to backup the whole
SP> directory structure, so that I can later browse faster and check
SP> modification dates etc. Will still take some time until that is finished
SP> over the slow line here.

SP> The only "good" thing: I have access to another FreeBSD 4.2 server, which
SP> has got patched. Problem is only, that this is a custom build (virtual
SP> hosting), so I am not too sure.

AFAIK with CVS you can build binary for quite any version of FreeBSD.
But I can be wrong here. Any comments are very good.

SP> And for the time being, I assume, that the intruder "just" installed the SW
SP> and didn't do more. Means: I will try to find out what happened, and if
SP> possible restore without going through a re-install.

This is dangerous assume. Be very careful and do not rely on this.

SP> My questions:
SP> 1. Any problem, if I download "ps" and the patched "telnetd" from the good
SP> site and just replace on the corrupted site?

you shoud just try. download them with different names (let's say
new_ps and new_telnetd) and try to run them. For new_ps just type
`chmod 700 /path/to/new/ps/new_ps && /path/to/new/ps/new_ps' in shell
prompt. For new_telnetd add following line to /etc/inetd.conf:

55555  stream  tcp     nowait  root     /path/to/new/telnetd/new_telnetd    new_telnetd

and do "kill -1 `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`". After that try to telnet
localhost at port 55555 and `tail' the logs for errors.

SP> 2. I tried to patch as written in SA-01:49, but the directory /usr/src/ is
SP> empty, and when I run the "patch -p ..." command, I get:
>>Hmm...  Looks like a unified diff to me...
>>The text leading up to this was:
>>--------------------------
>>|Index: libexec/telnetd/ext.h
>>|===================================================================
>>|RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/libexec/telnetd/ext.h,v
>>|retrieving revision 1.8
>>|retrieving revision 1.10
>>|diff -u -r1.8 -r1.10
>>|--- libexec/telnetd/ext.h      2000/11/19 10:01:27     1.8
>>|+++ libexec/telnetd/ext.h      2001/07/23 22:00:51     1.10
>>--------------------------
>>File to patch:

SP> What should I enter here???
SP> The documentation says nothing.

If your /usr/src directory is empty you cannot apply this patch.

SP> TIA,
SP> Stefan

; NKritsky
; SysAdmin InternetHelp.Ru