Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 12:34:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu (David E. O'Brien)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hacker's list)
Subject:   Re: syscons driver

>  > We cannot assume that Joe Random User has X capable HW, and much less
>  > that he knows what it is he has.
>
> We *should* assume that Joe out on the Net has  X capable HW .
> If we have problems with *supported* X hardware then we should addressed
> them and not say that we should not be emphasizing  X capable apps.

Maybe, but personally, I don't want to spend my net connection bringing
over the X server and bloated sysinstall.  The most often compaired OS
installs are MS-NT and OS/2.  MS-NT has _3_ 1.44meg floppies of drivers
and boot strapping you have to go through just to be able to talk to the
hard disk and CDROM drive.  It is from the CDROM that it loads all the
"pretty" GUI's.  OS/2 has 2 1.44meg disks and doesn't support near as
many hardware varitities.

IMHO, these bloated install programs are only practicle if you know the
user is installing from CDROM media.

-- David    (obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu)