Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 2014 14:49:02 -0800
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Susan Stanziano <susan.stanziano@xinuos.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-testing@freebsd.org" <freebsd-testing@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Bhyve VM install follow-up

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Susan Stanziano <susan.stanziano@xinuos.com
> wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> Regarding the vm_open issue,
>
> vm_open: Invalid argument
>
> You asked:
>
> What is the full command that you are using to invoke
> vmrun.sh?
>
> I used simply   "vmrun.sh <vmname>"  as root
>
> Here is a portion of the scrolled output from above command:
>
> + BOOTDISK=./diskdev
> + installer_opt=''
> + /usr/sbin/bhyveload -c stdio -m 512M -d ./diskdev freebsd-test
> vm_open: Invalid argument
> + bhyve_exit=1
> + [ 1 -ne 0 ]
> + break
> + /usr/sbin/bhyvectl --vm=freebsd-test --destroy
> + exit 1

OK, glad you got it to work.  What I see right away is that if you do not
specify the options:
   (1)  diskdev is the default image used.  If you have multiple VM's
running, it
         probably is not safe to use the same disk image across multiple
VM's, so you
         might want to have different disk images, and specify the -d flag.

> As regards the multiple VM's,  I have tried this again successfully so
> your comment about invocations using different names solved the problem -
> my error.
>

> One more question, regarding the other failures for which there are now
> fixes - How do I match a fix to an RC version?

That's a very good question.  So basically what I do is, first I look at:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/committers-guide/subversion-primer.html#svn-getting-started-base-layout

to understand the layout of the different branches in FreeBSD.
Then I go to:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org

to look at the commits.  The commits targeted for the 10.1 release are
going into the  /base/releng/10.1
branch.  If you are familiar with Subversion, you can also checkout the
code from subversion and do
"svn log" to look the commits, as an alternative to the web interface.

--
Craig