Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 10:05:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        gregg@cyrix.com (Greg Grohoski)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation from dell ppro 200 / atapi CDROM support

Greg Grohoski recently asked:

> 2) There were 2 DOS partitions on the 3.2G drive (windoze 95
> on 1st, 2nd empty).  We installed freebsd on the 1.3G drive,
> but wanted to put /home on the 2nd partition on the 3.2G drive.
> During the install process, after creating the freebsd partition
> on the 3.2G drive, and trying to write the new partition info
> to the disk, sysinstall exited with a core dump (SIGINT 11).
>
> eventually my friend was able to configure a file system
> on the 2nd partition and then mount /home (glad i had him
> around).
>
> my questions:
> a) is this a known bug?

Sysinstall isn't perfect yet.  ;^)  It is continually being improved.
In my experience, using sysinstall to create filesystems other than the
"boot" disk has been less than fruitful.

> b) is this file system/drive configuration "risky"?  i need
> a stable system and don't want to be breaking new ground...

Configuring a new disk can be difficult.  There are several good
tutorials on how to do it in the archives, Doug White has written at
least one.  (Being an old SunOS user, this is less than a mystery to
me, but that doesn't help the rest of the world.)

Once you've gotten the disk configured and mounted, problems no longer
abound.  FreeBSD is one of the most stable systems I've ever used, and
I used to crash and break UNIX systems for a living.  ;^)