Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:28:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        dwilde1@ibm.net
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Andreessen: Linux use growing

On 30 Apr, Don Wilde wrote:
> Hi, Frank -
> 	Been there, flamed that! We all get fried at both MS and Linux, just
> because of their boorish, snotty attitude (and perhaps a bit because of
> crappy software!). However, then we -- myself MOST DEFINITELY included
> -- turn around and do the same thing.

Hi Don,

Yup, sometimes it pays to go out and kick a tree when something sticks
in your craw the wrong way.

> 	We have a shot at the server market, but unless we add to our appeal to
> the desktop set by improving ppp and printer setup and building our own
> office suite, we will remain a niche OS. That's why I take Jordan's
> comments to heart about carefully approaching the Popular Science crowd
> with inteesting articles, and why I want to make a Dummy's FreeBSD Demo.
> 			--> Don

Agree, these market opportunities are what interests me.  Lately there
have been some installed base and growth rate numbers disclosed, which
provide a base to develop some solid promo projects.  I am working on
some ideas and hopefully this weekend will have time to get the
thoughts in order and toss them out for discession.

Remaining a niche OS is the heart of the problem that we face.  I
remain un-persuaded that following Linux is necessarily the way to go.
The work that they are doing to expand the free OS market is good for
ua as far as it goes.  However, with all the talent in our group, it is
my belief that we have something more to offer.  We must compose our own
tune and say it loud and say it clear to let the computing world know
who and what we are.

Regards,
Frank