Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 09:45:37 +1000 (EST)
From:      Michael Cronk <michael@one.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Synopsis:

Basically, I am trying to use PPP over TCP to connect two machines, say A and
B, where A is the initiator and B is the receiver.  When A connects to B, I
want A to make B its default router.  It seems that ppp is able to
successfully negotiate IP Addresses and update the routing tables accordingly.
However, when I try to ping machine B (10.0.0.135) from A, an ICMP request is
sent, but no reply.

Basically, on machine A, I used the following command to connect:

        ppp -background pppin

and on B

        sitting on a port... ppp -direct pppin

Can you tell me why ppp seems to establish the link correctly, but then
everything falls to pieces.  Oh yeah, I'm using FreeBSD 2.2.5!

Machine A's setup (similar to B, without changing of default route)

%more ppp.linkup
pppin:
 delete 0
 add 0 0 HISADDR

%inconfig -a
tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 10.0.0.136 --> 10.0.0.135 netmask 0xffffff00

%netstat -r
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
default            10.0.0.135         UGSc        1        0      tun0
10.0.0.135         10.0.0.136         UH          2       27      tun0

Thanks in advance,
Michael!