Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:37:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        mikebo@tellabs.com
Cc:        Mike Borowiec <mikebo@hotjobs.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS v3 on FBSD client/Sun server?

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 mikebo@tellabs.com wrote:

> Alfred -
> Do you need all those mount options in fstab to initiate NFS over TCP
> from a Solaris 2.6 server to FBSD 2.2.8 client? I though version 3 (TCP)
> was the default, failing over to version 2 (UDP) only if the version 3
> handshake failed.

You're using X window terminology with NFS and it's confusing the hell out
of me.

When can you NOT get tcp mounts?

a) Solaris is serving NFS and you mount a share onto a FreeBSD box?
b) FreeBSD is serving NFS and you mount a share onto a Solaris box?

if the case is 'a' afaik FreeBSD does NOT automatically do TCP and nfsv3
because they aren't as well proven to be reliable, you HAVE to explicitly
ask for it via "tcp,nfsv3" options.  The other flags are my own personal
preferances and give me killer client performance.

hmmm, doing a dd, it seems like it's not giving me as stellar performance
as i'd hoped:

/mp3/tmp % dd if=xxx of=/dev/null bs=128k
489+1 records in
489+1 records out
64100481 bytes transferred in 15.739358 secs (4072624 bytes/sec)

(i was getting 9 MB/sec a while back)

> > please don't crosspost
>
> Sorry...

:)

Alfred Perlstein - Programmer, HotJobs Inc. - www.hotjobs.com
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        3.0-current