Date:      Mon, 08 Sep 1997 11:41:55 +0000
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@mofo.frt.dec.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems compiling DDD 2.1.1 from the ports.

"David O'Brien" writes:

> > > I don't have /usr/src/ports. I only have /usr/ports/distfiles.
> >
> > I'd be curious as to how you built the port, then.  This might be your
> > problem.  You *should* have a directory /usr/src/ports/devel/ddd with
>
> Actually the standard place to find the DDD port files are in
> /usr/ports/devel/ddd.
>
> > > By downloading the libc.so.3.0 you offered me I was able to compile, but
> > > ddd hanged at startup.
> > > Then I 'ln' libc.so.3.0 to libc.so.2.2, and it worked!
>
> With out knowing the previous emails, I'll go out on a limb and say this
> is dangerous.  DDD should build on an out of the box 2.1.7.1 system.
> However, if you aren't using the stock GCC, then all bets are off.
>
> I'd suggest trying to build ddd on a stock, right off the CD install of
> FreeBSD.

doesn't the new ddd expect gdb-4.16 ? Seems to me that 2.1.7.1 still
has gdb-4.13. I don't think gdb-4.16 got imported until after 2.1.7.1
was released.

Anyway, ddd compiles and links just fine under -current using lesstif-0.80,
it just coredumps all over the place when you try to run it :-(

---
Gary Jennejohn				(work) gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
					(home) garyj@muc.de
					(play) gj@freebsd.org