Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 1996 07:50:20 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <cy@cwsys.cwent.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
Cc:        Dev Chanchani <dev@trifecta.com>, FREEBSD-SECURITY-L <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: URGENT: Packet sniffer found on my system

> On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Dev Chanchani wrote:
> > Expire all the passwords and re-install all the system binaries and
> > hopefully he will go away.
>
>     All staff have been notified to cycle their passwords.  What to do
> with the user base is an entirely different matter...

Don't be too sure that this will secure your passwords.  I've seen
/bin/login replaced to collect passwords and either store them or transmit
them upon receipt.  You'd better verify that login, su, ftpd, and anything
else that processes passwords is intact.

A couple of ways to avoid this is to use the "r" commands, but this can be a
big security hole as well.

Alternatively you could install Kerberos or ssh.  You could distribute a set
of kerberos binaries for windoze to your clients.  All they would need to do
is a kinit to get a 10 hour (for example) ticket.  They could login to your
system for 10 hours without reentering the password.  This will only protect
telnet since I haven't seen a free version of Kerberos for windoze that
supported anything but telnet.

If you want to compile Kerberos 5 Beta 7 on your system, I do have some
patches to allow it to compile and run on FreeBSD.

Cy Schubert                    OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
Open Systems Support          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
ITSD                        Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       cschuber@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca

                "Quit spooling around, JES do it."