Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:26:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@telehouse.ch>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, Andre Oppermann <oppermann@monzoon.net>, Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of if_ef for 802.11 interfaces?

Andre Oppermann writes:
| Brooks Davis wrote:
| >
| > On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 05:27:13PM +0200, Andre Oppermann wrote:
| > > Nothing, maybe except that there is no IOCTL defined for "microwave
| > > oven rubustness" (which is another way to say "don't fallback too
| > > fast on transmission errors").
| >
| > That's easy enough to add.  I assume it's just a boolean or integer
| > parameter?  The interface supports 2^16-1 options so it's not going to
| > be a real problem to add more.  You just add a new #define at the end if
| > sys/net/if_ieee80211.h and and entry in share/man/man4/ieee80211.4
| > describing what the heck it does.  The interface also needs more status
| > gathering functions to get signal strenght and the like for GUI tools.
|
| I'd say your patch is a very good starting point and framewort to
| which everthing else, is desired, can be added later.
|
| PHK assigned himself to your PR with the patch but told me this
| weekend that he'd hold back until (appearently) this discussion is
| finished. IMO he can go ahead and commit it.

I agree it should be commited.  There are some implementation issues
in the Cisco/Aironet driver that need fixing (not his fault, existing
confusion and strangeness of the card).  Getting this commited would
reduce a level of complexity of patches that I'm maintaining for the
Aironet driver.

Also it will be interesting how we support LEAP that requires a user name
passwd to be entered.  I'm just starting to investigate that.

Doug A.