Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:07:47 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        ktb <x.y.f@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Free UNIX source licenses (was: [OT] 4.4 license)

On Wednesday, 20 December 2000 at 20:16:03 -0600, ktb wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 11:54:27AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> 4.4BSD contains AT&T code.  You need a UNIX source license (now
>> available for free from SCO) to get it.  4.4BSD-Lite was an incomplete
>> operating system created by removing the AT&T code from 4.4BSD.  It
>> was the base for FreeBSD 2.0 and NetBSD 1.0.
>>

> 	I was wondering if you could shed some light here on where to
> 	get this free license for 4.4BSD?  I checked at the SCO site and
> 	didn't see anything regarding this.  I'm just curious as to how
> 	4.4BSD is different with the AT&T code in place.  If you have a
> 	url I would appreciate seeing it.

The URL is http://www.sco.com/offers/ancient.html.  The license is
free, but you're restricted in what you can do with the code (for
example, we can't put it in FreeBSD).  The most important part of the
restrictions is:

  (b) Personal use is limited to noncommercial uses. Any such use made
      in connection with the development of enhancements or
      modifications to SOURCE CODE PRODUCTS is permitted only if (i)
      neither the results of such use nor any enhancement or
      modification so developed is intended primarily for the benefit
      of a third party and (ii) any copy of any such result,
      enhancement or modification, furnished by LICENSEE to a third
      party holder of an equivalent Software License with SCO where
      permitted by Section 8.4(b) below, is furnished for no more than
      the cost of reproduction and shipping. Any such copy that
      includes any portion of a SOURCE CODE PRODUCT shall be subject
      tothe provisions of such Section 8.4.

You might also want to look at the UNIX Heritage society at
http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/TUHS/.  Amongst other things, there are
about 1.2 GB of source code there.

Note that there isn't much original AT&T code in 4.4BSD, but the
license also allows you access to any 16 bit AT&T UNIX, as well as all
BSD UNIX.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.