Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:41:18 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Lars Eighner <eighner@io.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: home pc use

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 03:20:14PM -0600, Lars Eighner wrote:
> Home PCs do not need the level of security that servers need because
> the machines are physically secure and no one is logging in from off
> site.

I would hope that your servers are more physically secure than some random
home PC :-)

As for the network, take one unsecured home PC, mix in an always-on broadband
connection and pretty soon half the s'kiddies in the universe are logging
on to launch DoS attacks from your box...

The stuff on my home machine is just as important to me as anything on my
employers servers; I take essentially the same security precautions in both
cases.  Heck, even Windows ships with a firewall these days, so there's
really no excuse not to.

	Scott