Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:01:41 +0200
From:      "Michael Vondung" <michael@vcommunities.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Planning a FreeBSD desktop, basic questions.

Hello!

My apologies for the length of this post. Summary: 4.x or 5.x for a =
desktop
machine, disk partitioning for a workstation, miscellaneous installation
questions.

Okay, the details! Now that I have my local FreeBSD server (mail/news,
router, firewall) successfully running, I'm ready to tackle my =
workstation.
This is currently a system with a P4-2.6Ghz, 512MB RAM, an 80GB EIDE =
disk,
and "the usual" devices (CDR, CD/DVD player, network adapter and so on). =
At
this time it is running Windows XP, and I plan to keep it where it is. =
avoid having two operating systems on the same disk, I've purchased an
identical HD (WD800BB) where FreeBSD will live on. Since I don't =
download
movies or obscene amounts of MP3s, this is all a bit spacey. The XP disk
only uses 35 of 80GB and I doubt the FreeBSD one will even be this =
"full".
How times change. :)

4.8 or 5.1?

My "personal server" happily runs 4.8R and will be updated to 4.9 when
-stable becomes a bit more stable. It consists of older hardware and I =
don't
plan to upgrade it to 5.x any time soon, if ever. But what do you =
recommend
for the workstation? It doesn't have dual-processors and all of its =
hardware
seems to be supported by 4.x. This machine, though, will eventually get =
5.x.
I'm wondering if it makes sense to put 4.8 on it now or if it would be a
better choice to just go with 5.1R. My primary concern here is ease of
upgrading. Will it be difficult to go from 4.9 to 5.2, somewhere down =
the
road? Mergemaster is a rather scary looking critter. Differently put, =
will
there be tools provided to allow this without too much fiddling?

Partitions

If anything brings out the perfectionist in me, it is figuring out how =
partition a disk. What I have in mind for the 80GB FreeBSD disk for the
workstation is this:

/ =3D 512MB (too spacey, but that should be plenty for future releases)
swap =3D 3GB (see notes below)
/var =3D 1GB (probably too much, but the room's there)
/tmp =3D 1GB (256MB would probably be enough, but why not?)
/usr =3D the rest (essentially 74GB)

The machine currently has 512MB of RAM, but since I won't have the =
financial
means or desire to get a new complete system in the next two to four =
years,
it's possible that I'll upgrade the memory first to 1GB and later to =
1.5GB
if needed or wanted. 3GB would then be an acceptable amount of swap =
space,
but I certainly won't need this much right now, and I might never. Am I
overdoing it, or doesn't it really matter since I don't seem to lack =
storage
room anyway?

Then there's this huge /usr partition. 74GB. I thought about splitting =
this
between /home and /usr, but I have honestly no idea (and experience) how
much space I'll end up using where. It probably wouldn't matter since I
won't need more 30 or 40GB of that space. There's also the possibility =
that
I might end up using the second disk (another 80GB one that currently
belongs to XP) for FreeBSD also. That would then be for /home, if for =
some
unexpected reason I should need more space. In other words, I would like =
keep this option open.

This workstation won't hold "critical" data, so I do not plan on backing =
up
entire partitions. If all of this is inefficient and I'm missing the
obvious, please let me know. Keep in mind that I -am- new to the FreeBSD =
and
Unix world. I'm open for suggestions here.

Miscellaneous

- FreeBSD will be on the second disk. Is Sysinstall, if FreeBSD is =
installed
on the slave, going to ask if I'd like to put the BootMgr on the first
drive?

- In case I decide to make the second disk (with FreeBSD) the master =
drive
some time in the not-so-near future, will it be fairly simple to =
accomplish
this? Only jumper rearrangement, MBR and fstab editing?

- Anything else I need to pay particular attention to? Besides backing =
up
important files on the XP disk in case something goes wrong.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Michael