Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 2004 20:52:02 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Roop Nanuwa <roop.nanuwa@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PHP5-GD and X11 requirement

--cvVnyQ+4j833TQvp

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 12:44:54PM -0700, Roop Nanuwa wrote:
> I'm trying to add GD support into my PHP5 install and I'm utterly
> confused by one thing. For some reason, GD has a dependency on X. Why
> is that? This is a server  that doesn't even have a monitor plugged
> in, what features of X does the PHP GD module require? It seems rather
> ridiculous to me that there would that requirement.
>=20
> What's the reasoning behind it? What features of the X libraries does
> GD make use of?

xpm or "X PixMap" -- an image format provided with X windows.  You can
avoid having to install the whole X client libraries by installing
graphics/gd with the following flags:

    # cd /usr/ports/graphics/gd
    # make install WITH_XPM=3Dyes WITHOUT_X11=3Dyes

which will cause a standalone xpm library to be used.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way