Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 11:54:56 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using 4.3-RELEASE's libc on 5.0 causes hard lockups

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 11:53:22AM -0600, Kevin Day wrote:
> Ok, I admit, no matter how it happened, an application using the wrong libc
> is a bad thing.
>
> But, how are things supposed to work?

Apps that need the old libc.so.4 will find it in
/usr/lib/compat/libc.so.4 (or /usr/lib/libc.so.4 if you didn't remove
it, for that matter).

[...]
> In any case, a system lockup or being able to crash other user's processes
> just by having the wrong libc shouldn't be possible no matter what happens.

Probably not, although if you have processes running as root and using
the `wrong' libc, all bets are off.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar@celabo.org>          http://www.celabo.org/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos