Date:      Sat, 08 May 1999 14:14:55 -0600
From:      Otto Solares <solca@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        solca@fisicc-ufm.edu
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux under load

- john - wrote:

> >sera que pueden meterle una super business app como
> >SAP R/3?
> anyone who put their SAP R/3 environment on a linux box ought to have their
> head examined. trust me.

Trust you?
I better trust Siemens.

> >Sera entonces que si hace todo esto no puede con
> >grandes cargas? Sera que es un OS de desktop?
> >Si ustedes saben de algun otro sistema
> >operativo que haga todo esto y ademas este creciendo
> >mas que linux en popularidad
> ok, so your point is: It doesn´t matter if it can handle lots of
> load, or is a "desktop OS" because linux can do all theese other
> tings?

No, linux can handle a lots of load AND DO this other things, ask
DejaNews

> Who cares about reliability anyway?

Don't think so:

    Domain : RIPE+.edu
     DName  : ---------
     Service: ftp+news+www
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Date   : April `99

  Host OS recognized (grouped, sorted)    01/99  %recog      04/99
%recog  +/-%
  ------------------------------------  -------  ------    -------
-------  ----
            1.(   )              Linux   287093    28.5     399748
31.3  +2.8

^^^^^^
            4.(   )         BSD Family   150961    15.0     186385
14.6  -0.4

^^^^^^

So, all this people don't care about realiability for servers not to
mention desktop?
So because is very unreliable is gaining more server share than *BSD?

I don't want a flame war. And my real point is that linux is a very good
OS.
So don't miss this point, if you think that attacking linux your OS will
get
more acceptance you are wrong. The FreeBSD community got a lot to win if
linux
win. What i think about FreeBSD? Ok, a good OS, certainly i will not
take off my
linux boxes for FreeBSD, although i work with FreeBSD servers at work :)

I think is better now to think how to make FreeBSD to not loose more
server
share than attack linux with FUD.

microsofish ahh? ;)

</END>