Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 06:13:24 -0000
From:      "Jason Halbert" <res02jw5@gte.net>
To:        "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>, "Michael Wells" <mwells@zeus.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SMP kernel overheats

In continuing saga of FreeBSD questions "Jeremiah Gowdy" wrote:

> > I've been going through a kernel configuration for my SMP machine.
It's
> > a Gigabyte 6BXD with 2xPIII 550MHz processors. I can provide other
> > information if necessary about the hardware, but it's nothing too
exotic.

> > The problem I'm having is that although the kernel seems to work
fine,
> > and tools like "top" report that the CPUs are idleing, after a few
minutes
> > the system starts getting really warm, and eventually the BIOS
thermal
> > alarms are triggered at 65 degrees C. As I say, despite this it is
all
> > fine in operation, and processes on both CPUs are ok. It is
clearly
> > running way too hot though.
> >
> > What I was wondering was is this a known problem? Can it be fixed?
Any
> > other ideas? Thanks, your help is much appreciated.
>
> I run an IBM Netfinity 3500, Dual Pentium III 500, which has only
heatsinks
> on the CPUs and relies on the case fan to suck enough air to keep
the CPUs
> cool.  I run the FreeBSD 4.2 SMP kernel 24/7 on this production
server and I
> have no issues.  Sorry.

Is it just me or ... are we looking in the wrong place?

Obviously this isn't a kernel issue.  If it were lots more people,
including me, would be having issues.  I think the problem here lies
with the externals (fans, case, room temp. etc.).

I do agree with FreeBSD not halting a processor.  I've seen data and
experienced it myself that when temps are regulated properly.. things
in general last longer.  This phenomina is similar to bending a pieve
of metal over and over or turning on and off a light bulb.

The kernel isn't the issue.  It's the box itself.

---
Jason
jason@jason-n3xt.org