Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 00:12:00 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Arisandy <sandy@divre5.telkom.co.id>, Question <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Isp <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Getty & CONNECT environment variable (was: Modem speed?)

> On Wed, 20 May 1998, Arisandy wrote:
>
> > How can I know the modem speed while connections happens ?
>
> You don't, at least easily -- you have to have a way of grabbing the
> CONNECT string and usermode ppp can't do that at current (afaik).

It's possible to check the log file for outgoing connections.  For
incoming connections, mgetty (if you're using it) sets the CONNECT
environment variable.  Ppp picks this up and enters it in the host
field of utmp.

Maybe it would be work making the stock getty(8) set CONNECT too ?

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;