Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:49:11 +0100
From:      Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcswork.hcs.de>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: regexp program

On Mon, Jan 04, 1999 at 08:06:13PM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> As Hellmuth Michaelis wrote...
> > >From the keyboard of Wilko Bulte:
> >
> > > Why is it that isdnd requires the regprog to live under /etc/isdn?
> >
> > I thought it were a bit more secure.
>
> Security is a concern, true. It would be the (sick) hack of the century if you could
> stick a regexp/regprog in somebody's isdnd.rc that did (e.g) 'dd if=/dev/zero
> of=/dev/rsd0c'

Shudder ... :-(((

> or something similar after you called him :-\ I'm a bit doubtful
> whether it makes much difference if the regprog is in /etc/isdn or somewhere else.

You are right.

> In that respect I'd say it might make sense to not execute the regprog as root.
> It looks like isdnd/exec.c just execs whatever you feed it. Maybe a setuid(nobody)
> first?

Something like that - on the other side: who should be permitted to access
/dev/i4b* and wouldn't it be appropriate at this time to add group "isdn"
to /etc/groups?

I really didn't thought about all this stuff much, what do other people
think about that ?

Thoughts, comments ?

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 559747-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 559747-77