Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 2004 20:05:18 +0200
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <rmvg@shaw.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: startssl at boot time

On Apr 8, 2004, at 12:58 AM, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:

> THANKS but i already have that line in my rc.conf file and the log
> entries that i have submitted to this list are not from a reboot but
> rather apachectl stop and start or startssl.  So when i run a startssl
> i get the randomness i need however when i just use apachectl start
> which is 99.9% the same command it does not.  honestly i am stumped
> hope you have some more wisdom to share.  There is also the line about
> ssl cache i have do some googleing but have not been able to come up
> with anything that helps.

The trouble you are having is not with the SSLCache (which you should
enable regardless, but for
different reasons). If you already do rand_irqs's in your rc.conf and
you safe/load the entropy over
boot time; then that is about the best you can do in assuring there is
'real' entropy in the /dev/random
sort of getting into special kernels and/or hardware.

So next step is to read the comments in the section 'Pseudo Random
Number Generator' and the
mod_ssl manual and deceide if in -your- case you can get away with less
randomness.  In some
specific cases you can.

What is puzzling is that, assuming that the log file you are showing us
is complete, is that
you are -not- getting the fatal

	error "Failed to generate temporary 512 bit RSA private key".

S o it may be worth to switch logging to 'debug' level and double check
that not
something else (e.g. DNS timeout, lack of a ca-bundle/chain) is biting
you. There is a
very complete FAQ on ssl and apache in the apache bundle.

Dw