Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:24:10 +1100
From:      Zero Sum <count@shalimar.net.au>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.1.1 and 4.2 halt when booting, Gigabyte GA-6BXU

On Thursday 21 December 2000 12:46, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > There are no known problems with PnP in 4.2, so there's nothing
that's
> > > going to be fixed unless we can characterise your problem here.
> >
> > I'm confused.  Others have reported numerous bugs and/or misfeatures
> > with the current code (including it failing on at least one ThinkPad
> > laptop).
>
> There's a great deal of confusion between "ISA PnP", "BIOS PnP", and
> "Side-effects of BIOS PnP", as well as "reports that something might be
> failing" and "known problems".
>
> The Thinkpad problem appears to be a side-effect of calling the BIOS PnP
> interface, but hasn't been characterised.  The problem above may or may
> not actually be PnP related at all.  There are bugs in the PnP
> implementation that I've left out of the discussion here because they're
> not really relevant to the issue.
>
> Perhaps it would be fairer to say "if what you're reporting is really
> a lockup during the ISA PnP probe, then there are no known problems
> related to that feature and thus no plans to fix it at this time".
>
> Right now, however, the problem report does not contain enough detail to
> guess at what is going wrong, let alone why.

I am running a Gigabyte GA-6BXDS (not U) but I believe they are very
similar.  I have had no problems under 4.1, 4.1.1 or 4.2.  I am running an
AWE64 off the ISA (the AWE64 is known to be flakey) and I have run two ISA
PnP SCSI controllers (as 3rd and 4th controllers) without any problems.

The only hang I have had is when I used a 50-25 pin converter on one of the
ISA SCSI adaptors. Which was nothing to do with PnP.

Since your experience differs so much from mine, I would like to know the
full configuration of your machine.

Geoff
--
count@shalimar.net.au        Vescere bracis meis