Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 12:39:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        michael butler <imb@asstdc.com.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3c589b troubles

michael butler writes:
> I'm continuing to have the 'link ok' light on my hub go out and the machine
> itself goes "deaf". This is with -current as of August 7th on an IBM ThinkPad
> 560 (16 meg).
>
> I can reliably prompt this behaviour by running "scp somehost:somelargefile
> ." where the "somelargefile" happens to be my last source-tree backup (about
> 33 megs of it). It'll fail inside the first 5 :-(
>
> "ifconfig ep0 up" is enough to restart the interface,

This was a 'bug' that got introduced by the following commit:

revision 1.50
date: 1996/07/13 10:49:53;  author: davidg;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2

Enable transmit complete interrupt...
..

But was fixed with this commit, made on the 7th.

revision 1.52
date: 1996/07/27 12:40:31;  author: amurai;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
Under the heavy load for transmiting condition, it will be write error
and then never accept for sending packet from upper layer anymore
(i.e. ping -f )
Reviewed by:    David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Submitted by:   amurai@spec.co.jp

So, try getting your sources again and it should be fixed.

Nate