Date:      Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:03:31 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
Cc:        Casper <kl@os.lv>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jail error ln operation not permitted

On Jun 29, 2005, at 1:53 PM, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
> It appears that the syslogger does a link (ln -s) from /var/run/log
> to /dev/log and that inside a jail you cannot do this.  However,
> you can set it in the base system's version of the jail  file
> system.  I don't know if it stays around after reboots or what and
> what the effect is -- probably m akes jail messages go into its own
> log file but I have not done more than make the link and try to
> google (without a lot of success) on the issue

syslogd -l can set up additional logging sockets:

      -l      Specify a location where syslogd should place an
additional log
              socket.  The primary use for this is to place
additional log
              sockets in /var/run/log of various chroot filespaces.
File per-
              missions for socket can be specified in octal
representation
              before socket name, delimited with a colon.  Path to
socket loca-
              tion must be absolute.

If you are using jails, I would gather that you normally would be
running a separate syslogd within that jail, but this approach
provides another option...

--
-Chuck