Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 22:42:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FTP_PASSIVE_MODE - (was Re: Problem with Ports and Firewall)

Hi,

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 05:36:24PM -0500, Brett Taylor wrote:

> > While the other replies will work, they are a lot of work unless you set
> > these environmental variables in your .cshrc or .bashrc.  It's easier I
> > think to do the following by editing /etc/make.conf
> >
> > 	- uncomment FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=	YES

> I was going to suggest this too until I realized that this was no
> longer in the distributed make.conf. That made me suspicious so I did,

>    % grep PASSIVE /usr/ports/Mk/*
>    % grep PASSIVE /usr/share/mk/*

> Which showed no such variable is used in the mk-files. Is it just you
> and I or was there once such a beast? Or is there still one and I just
> have not found it?

Hmmm... there WAS one - and it worked (or at least used to).  Digging
through the cvsweb I found the following:

1.74 Wed Feb 3 22:25:41 1999 UTC by asami
Diffs to 1.73

Remove commented out definition of FTP_PASSIVE_MODE, it is (and has always
been) an environment variable and doesn't belong here.

Pointed out by: cnh@ems.mindspring.net, sanpei@yy.cs.keio.ac.jp

So it's gone.  I don't think it hurts to do things this way however.

Brett
Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *