Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 13:38:02 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf external buffer reference counters

Hi,

certainly removing the malloc will improve performance a lot.

As I already mentioned to Bosko, in principle the available area
in ext.buffers is irrelevant, and i do not believe this will break
anything (and if it does, it will be easy to fix in the kernel),
but some applications might decide to do writes in multiple of 1K
and trimming away the refcount area might easily result in suboptimal
allocation of storage within the kernel.

I'd probably try to use the same technique as -stable (i.e. have
a separate array for all refcounts), if that is not too bad
from other points of view.

	cheers
	luigi