Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 1999 00:56:12 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Gong Wei <ccegongw@nus.edu.sg>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: 3.3 Stable Performance Monitoring

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 10:48 PM 10/22/99 , Gong Wei wrote:
> >UCD SNMP agent the capability to call external script, but the bad news is
> >that for some of the parameters I even don't know how to find out them
> >through existing programs, like number of file descriptors being used :-(
>
> vinyl# pstat -T
> 283/4136 files
> 7M/255M swap space
>
> similarly, iostat, vmstat, netstat provides oodles of information.  Have a
> look through those man pages, and have a look at the mailling list
> archives.  Its all been asked and answered before :-)

Being quite interested in this as well, went to search the archives and
for something that's been "asked and answered before", am having a fun
time trying to find it :)

One thing I'm interested in doing is monitoring something that I'd figure
would be simple: loadavg.  But, snmpwalk on my machine (ucd-snmp 4.0.1
isntalled) reveals very little information other then those that appear to
deal with the network, where there is oddles of info ...

I'm lookign through the ucd-snmp web site right now, adn the EXAMPLES.conf
file that comes with the distribution, but would think stuff like:

	% swap usage
	% cpu usage
	loadavg

would be of interest to others, no?  I'd like to avoid re-creating a wheel
that someone else has already done, if at al possible...?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org