Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:21:16 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can anyone help a newbie with vinum?

through this in late January, and then it was done again in about
mid-February.

Refer to those discussions for a complete guide, but here's the
short answers to your questions:

neil@darlow.co.uk said:
> 1) What is the vinum filesystem type number (for partitioning)?

"vinum".  But you need to do this with disklabel post-install because
the install process doesn't do vinum.

> 2) Do I create a single vinum partition to hold all the mirrored
>    components, or do I create separate ones for each?

Well, the option is yours, but the recommendation is to create a single
vinum partition and then divide it within vinum.

Apart from saving you a reasonable amount of disk space (because you
have 265 blocks of vinum management data per vinum partition), the
discussions earlier this year assume single vinum partitions per disk.

> 3) I can install a minimal system into / and then configure the
>    vinum stuff afterwards. How do I best configure this?

Yes and no.  The discussions earlier this year will provide a solution.

The short answer is that any install you do will put data on partitions
other than /, which makes many plans to setup vinum, um, difficult if
you want to include things like /usr, /var, ...

The solution covered earlier this year involves "hiding" the space for
vinum management in swap, and then going in post-install to reallocate
that space (and the other file systems) to vinum.  With care there is
no need to alter the data you'd put on the other file systems and so
you get access to everything you've installed on them.

It is probably a hack by definition, but it's a very cute one ;-)

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319