Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 98 15:23:18 -0500
From:      Pat Parrinello <pparri@crossfields.com>
To:        "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>, "Marius Bendiksen" <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: UDP port 31337

>If no one was listening, it wouldn't be a problem.
>
>Only an attacker who INTENDED to invade your systems would be subject to
>crashes due to the response. And would deserve it.

  Brett, :)  Think again. I do not think you are wanting security
  as much as revenge. Listen again to Marcus here... He makes the
  best sense of all.

>>In any case, as I said, it's principally wrong to escalate a conflict by
>>retaliation. Besides which, it's illegal too.
>>---
>>Marius Bendiksen, IT-Trainee, ScanCall AS

  The reason I posted on this subject at all was to inject a
  little reality, albeit in a humor mode which I take it some
  here are in no mood for, but alas I will pass once my advice and
  for what it's worth... you can take it or leave it.

 Security is observing and taking action. That action should be
 defensive not offensive. Hold your friends close, but hold your
 enemies even closer. Know, don't guess the reaction to an
 action. Use common sense, it has been tried and tested for over
 10,000 years and found reliable. Test. One good test is worth
 a thousand expert opinions.

  Strength is in silence.

| Mathological |
|         |    |