Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 21:41:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Adam Szilveszter <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        lore <lore@phile.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WordPerfect/StarOffice

Hi Lore!

I have recently installed StarOffice 5.01 on FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE. It runs
w/o problems (apart from me needing a good manual on how to do a couple of
things.-)) I haven't tested its Java and JavaScript support though, these
are new even under Linux. As for libs, Star Office brings with it a set of
glibc2 libs, which need to be installed under /compat/linux/lib (do not
forget to rerun ldconfig after copying them) and before installation their
location (which may be anywhere at that time) must be expressly declared
with the variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Also, you need to declare
/tmp/sv001.tmp (or similar, it will complain anyway if you don't) using
the same variable again. Then just follow the docs and run ./setup from
the appropriate
directory. (It is a GUI based setup like in Windows) It is not difficult
but you can find a tutorial on it under FreeBSD Rocks
(http://www.freebsdrocks.com)

But caution, StarOffice is _huge_ . (Over 65 megs for that matter.) Try
somewhere close to fetch it.

I have no experience with WordPerfect though:-)

I hope it helps...

Regards:
          Szilveszter (aka CC the horrible)

          JATE University