Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 2014 14:53:59 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <bsd-unix@embarqmail.com>
To:        Jos Chrispijn <kernel@webrz.net>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Pkgng | Compiled versions download

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 12:52:47 +0100
Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 12:31:45 +0100, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> >    Just found out that updating my ports with pkg is causing an issue: it
> >    downloads compiled versions.
>
> The use of pkg implies (precompiled) binary packages.
> Whenever you update something using pkg, it will download
> and install the precompiled packages from the given
> repository.
>
> pkg_* (old)		-> binary
> pkg (new)		-> binary
> "make" et al.		-> from source
> port management tools	-> usually from source (binary possible)
>
> Combining those methods has been possible for decades,
> but emphasizes that you know what you're doing. :-)
>

> >    The problem I get now is that pe with Postfix, TLD and Dovecot are not
> >    part of that compilation - in other words I have to reinstall before it
> >    works.
>
> If I read this correctly: You have previously been using
> compiled (by you) versions of the mentioned programs, and
> pkg didn't upgrade them?
>

> >    Is there a way of compiling the port(s) after downloaden (sorry, pkg
> >    nub online)?
>
> Tools like portmaster can be used here. They allow you to
> control if programs should be updated binarily or from
> source. This of course requires your /usr/ports tree to
> be up to date. See "man portmaster" for details, especially
> the -P and -PP options.

While you may use portmaster to upgrade ports from sources, it is
my understanding that portmaster presently does not work with
packages (binaries).  See:

  http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?53030A23.60800

I don't use portupgrade so I'm not sure of its status on interaction
with binary packages.

Do be aware that mixing ports with binary packages could create
problems if your local ports tree does not match what the package
repository used to build the packages.  I have been unable to find
a way to do this that isn't an approximation.  Chances are that it
would work most of the time provided your local tree is up to date.

I've read that at some point in the future that sub-packages with
various options will be available but it may be some time away due
to a lot of work that is being done on the ports infrastructure to
allow this to happen.

Randy