Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:49:03 -0400
From:      Maury Markowitz <maury@OAAI.COM>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Source control packages

  I know this isn't really on topic, but it does seem to be the best
place to ask considering the other threads.

  I'm currently using CVS.  I don't like it.  The reasons I don't
like it are...

a) branching and merging don't seem to work for me.  This is
primarily a problem with diffing as far as I can tell, but I have to
go in and hand edit practically every file I've modified from a
branch.  It's also far too complex an operation, and I find the whole
tagging concept rather confusing.

b) merging two edits on the same branch rarely works.  Again this
seems to be a diff problem, but there's cases where the only thing
that changed was the number of spaces in a blank line, and this has
caused huge blocks of my file to be marked as conflicting.

c) there's no way to do "stamping".  For instance when I'm about to
do a release build I'd like some way to stamp the repository saying
"I've used this version to make my 1.1 build".  Instead it does this
the other way around, putting crud in your files that YOU can pull
out.

d) it puts crud in my files!

e) it puts crud in my directories.

f) having the no checkin/checkout is pretty cool, but there are some
times where this is exactly what you want to do.  I'd prefer to have
this as an option (locking).

  Any suggestions people?  Is perforce the way to go?

Maury