Date:      Sat, 08 Apr 1995 04:19:04 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ports' Makefiles / package names

> (3) The MAINTAINER line.  This is mandatory!  Write
>     "ports@FreeBSD.ORG" if you don't feel like personally taking care
>     of it (although we hope you would :).

But it already defaults to that.. :-)

> CATEGORIES+=	***
> KEYWORDS+=	***

Don't forget that it's also convention to have KEYWORDS be a superset
of CATEGORIES (it's set to ${CATEGORIES} now, as the default).  I
would either recommend that people setting KEYWORDS explicitly include
them like this:

	KEYWORDS+= ${CATEGORIES} raisins sex chainsaws

Or that we make KEYWORDS be KEYWORDS+= ${CATEGORIES} instead of
KEYWORDS?= ${CATEGORIES} as it is now.

> If your ${DISTNAME} has a format other than "<name>-<version.string.numbers>"
,
> set ${PKGNAME} to something in that format.  This can be usually done by
> adding to or subtracting from ${DISTNAME} just a bit.

Looks good to me!

> Here are some examples on how to convert a ${DISTNAME} into a suitable
> ${PKGNAME}:

Ditto.  It's religious, but a standard is fine by me! :-)

> Okay, that's it for tonight.  Thanks for reading the long mail! :)

Looks like a good start!  Thanks, Satoshi!

					Jordan