Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:57:20 -0800
From:      Evan Sayer <esayer1@san.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Network Gateway

I am a little unsure of what hardware to buy for this network.

_______                        ______
|              |                        |              |
            ______
|      A     |----------------> |      B     |------------------>
|__C_|        ________
|______|                        |______|                              |
| |--------->|       D     |

|<----------------|  |               |______ |

                                                     ____|____
       |_____

|                |              |
                                                      |         F      |
                |      E     |
                                                      |_______ |
        |______|

A is my cable modem, b is a freebsd gateway/natd/bind/httpd server
(lot's of stuff, but most of them don't get too many requests; the
webserver is very small).  I use natd's port redirection to give f and
e the ability to be accessed from the internet via ssh and ftp.  F is
the main file server, while E holds other unrelated files and is also a
bakcup server for F.  E also does samba for another client i didn't put
on there.  D is an unrelated lan.  You'll notice i have skipped c.
This is because i don't know what to buy (router, switch, or hub).  I
think when you run natd it acts as a firewall (the data under the
gateway needs to be protected), but is it enough to warrant not buying
a router?  I'm not sure how hubs or switches work.  Thanks a lot (i
hope someone has an answer becuase these stupid drawings took me like
an hour).