Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 18:33:50 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm@ispchannel.com>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Why can't I cd to certain directories???

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Mark A. Hummel
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2000 11:25 PM
To: freebsd-questions
Subject: Why can't I cd to certain directories???

Greetings,
Sometimes when I try to cd to a directory like /usr/local/... I get an error
message reading: Can't cd to ...
I then try to cd one level down at a time.  #cd /usr  then pwd to find out I
actually made the trip.  Then cd /local  Sorry, can't cd to /usr/local.  Why
when I'm logged in as a su?

If you are entering a command like #cd /local you are specifying a directory
/local.  Chances are this directory does not exist.  If you are trying to
get to /usr/local one step at a time you can do:

#cd /usr
#cd local

If you start a cd command with a / you are specifying that the directory you
are looking for is off of root.

More newbie questions coming.  Thanks people
Mark To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe
freebsd-questions" in the body of the message