Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:28:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UNIX book recommendations

I didn't get around to replying earlier -- I plead the press of work.  :-}

Anyway, I didn't see it mentioned in other responses (though I might have
overlooked something)....  One of the books I strongly recommend for
anyone to get a "feel" for how things are done in UNIX environments
is by Brian Kernighan [the guy credited/blamed for the named "UNIX",
and the "Kernighan" of "Kernighan and Ritchie"] and Rob Pike [whose
contributions to UNIX are perhaps less well known...], was published
by Prentice-Hall, and is called _The UNIX Programming Environment_.

It, like most of the UNIX-oriented books from the Bell Labs folks is
rather concise.  However, it starts fairly straightforwardly -- leading
the reader in an exercise of sending email to herself -- and going on
from there.  As may be inferred from the title, the perspective is that
of someone who wants to accomplish some sort of programming with a UNIX
system... though the term "programming" may be rather loosely defined
(as the authors show).

I've purchased at least 3 copies so far -- I keep loaning them to folks,
and the books don't come back.  :-(

However, it's definitely a classic, and I heartily recommend it (in
spite of an AT&T bias and, by current perspectives, a bit of age:  I
first read it back in 1985 -- and it's pretty weak in terms of modern
networking, which isn't at all a surprise, given when it was written).

Another print resource is reprints of some of the Bell System Technical
Journals.  Not sure where you get those nowadays....  :-(

Lastly:  Do not be afraid of books geared toward system administrators.
If you're running FreeBSD, I strongly suspect that a bit of inclination
in that direction will do you good.  And on that note, I'll plug USENIX
(http://www.usenix.org/), and the System Administrator's Guild (SAGE --
part of USENIX).

Cheers,
david