Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:38:04 +1100
From:      Raymond Brighenti <bargi@webfront.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Peoples Experience with Soft Updates

Hi,

We're a small ISP using FreeBSD for all our servers and I've been trying to
find out as much info as I can about using Soft updates.

I'm considering enabling it on our Squid proxy server(PIII 400) and our
Mail sever (P133)

Both machines have SCSI drives and although I've had no real problems with
either machines performance it seems like a logical option to enable for
better disk performance.

I'd like to hear any comments or real life experiences anyone has about it,
any problems if the machine is rebooted or power goes down while the
machine is writing away (I understand there is the delayed Disk full with
it enabled but that shouldn't be a problem)

Thanks

Ray