Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 2015 07:06:36 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   powerpc (non-64 variant) 11.0-CURRENT r279514->r279813 update's installworld failed to complete

A user experience report: I tried to take my recently constructed SSD =
for booting

$ freebsd-version -ku; uname -a
11.0-CURRENT
11.0-CURRENT
FreeBSD FBSDG3C0 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r279514M: Mon Mar  =
9 22:24:27 PDT 2015     =
root@FBSDG4S0:/usr/obj/usr/srcC/sys/GENERICvtsc-NODEBUG  powerpc

on PowerMacs and update a copy of it to -r279813 via:

cd /usr/srcC/
svnlite update -r279813
make -j 8 buildworld kernel KERNCONF=3DGENERICvtsc-NODEBUG =
INSTKERNNAME=3Dkernel11C
make installworld

But the installworld eventually failed with a Bus Error notice reported =
after the line indicating /libexec/ld_elf.so.1 had been established...

=3D>> libexec/rtld-elf/tests/target (install)
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 -> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
Bus error (core dumped)
*** Error code 138

After that any attempt to load a program (say by typing ls) also got a =
bus error. Already loaded programs continued to work from what I could =
tell (such as the shell I was typing to). (This tracks when ld-elf.so.1 =
would be involved vs. not.)

Another attempt was to buildworld and buildkernel on one r279514 boot =
SSD and to then installkernel and installworld via DESTDIR=3D/mnt to =
another SSD. But /sbin/init got a Bus Error when booting the updated =
SSD.

I ended up reverting to an SSD where the -r279514 11.0-CURRENT kernel =
and world had not been updated. I did not ever try substituting =
ld-elf.so.1.old .

This effort was made on a PowerMac G5 despite the non-64 status of the =
build. (I have yet to build and install a powerpc64 variant of a fairly =
recent 11.0-CURRENT snapshot.)

I'm not likely to retry the experiment anytime soon. So I do not =
directly have evidence of repeatability.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net