Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:31:34 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        info@netarmor.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail panic

info@netarmor.net said:
> I've deleted all of the files in /var/spool/mqueue but the queue keeps
>  building up again.  Does any one know what the problem is.  This
> seems to  have begun after /var file system filled up.

I expect that you've only given half the story (which I'm not saying is
intentional).  Sendmail doesn't pull things out of thin air, so if the
queue keeps building up then either you have a LOT of e-mail going through,
or something is seriously broken.  In either case, it's all in syslog.

The messages you have included are both saying the same thing: /var is full.

Sendmail doesn't like /var filling up at all, since pretty much everything
it needs to do is on /var:

		/var/spool/mqueue	sendmail working/queue directory
		/var/log		logging (via syslog)
		/var/mail		user mail drops
		/var/tmp		usual "drop of last resort"
		/var/run		sendmail "pid" file

So what do you do?

	1. Stop sendmail.

	2. Clear up as much space as you can on /var.

	3. Run mailq to see what's actually there.

	4. Try running "sendmail -qI<id>" (refer to the man page)
	   a few times to try to get rid of a few messages at a
	   time.

	5. Look at the mail queue each time to check what happened.
	   If things are going back into the queue, you probably
	   have something else to fix.

	6. Once everything is cleaned up, start sendmail again.

You may then like to look at where all your disk space is allocated,
and maybe reconfigure sendmail to use different locations where there
is "room to move".

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319