Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 19:04:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Toren <rpt@miles.sso.wdl.lmco.comm>
To:        hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   SAMBA and DOS file systems

SAMBA seems to have really picked up as a topic these last couple of weeks.

My question concerns the file systems that SAMBA uses to support the
remote requests. This machine is used for both FBSD and WFWG 3.11. I am
planning to use SAMBA as a file server for the WFWG files stored in the
DOS partitions, and used on another WFWG machine.

I have been following (over the last year) the saga of the fitness of
using the DOS FS. Some people seem to have a disaster, and others say it
works just fine. In my case I have 3 DOS partitions (1 primary and 2
extended) of 250 Mb each.

Is SAMBA safe with DOS partitions? Should the FreeBSD partitions be the
only ones used?

Any experiences are guidelines would be appreciated....

Rip Toren               | The bad news is that C++ is not an object-oriented |
rpt@sso.wdl.lmco.com    | programming language. .... The good news is that   |
                        | C++ supports object-oriented programming.          |
                        |    C++ Programming & Fundamental Concepts          |
                        |     by Anderson & Heinze                           |