Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 1998 19:21:40 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, current@FreeBSD.ORG, jc@irbs.com, mike@smith.net.au, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dog Sloooow SMP

Bruce Evans wrote:
> >> FreeBSD should use its own bitmap of capabilities and not test the Intel
> >> flags except once to translate them.  32 general flags might even be
> >> enough.
> >>

> >How about 64 for the odd case that K7 actually materialises as promised
> >and people start putting them in dual motherboards?
>
> That would be almost twice as slow for CC=gcc.   CC=egcs handles 64-bit
> bit tests better, especially for the low 32 bits.

32 vs. 64 is almost irrelevant..  There's no limit to the number of 32 bit
variables that we can use with flags in them, so there's no reason why
we'd use a 64 bit variable in the first place.

However..  One thing that bugs me is that we presently can optimize out
code and tests for a runtime boost when compiled for a specific cpu.  eg:
if we support 386 cpus, we test for whether we have an invlpg instruction
or not - but if we are not compiling with a 386 option then this code and
the test for >= 486 goes away.

> Bruce

Cheers,
-Peter