Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 00:17:43 +0300
From:      =?koi8-r?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA=20=F7=2E=20=EF=CC=C5=CA=CE=C9=CB?= (Andy   V. Oleynik) <andyo@prime.net.ua>
Cc:        Mark Barbisan <barbisan@interlog.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dialup Sendmail

Q3.22 -- How do I configure sendmail not to use DNS?

Date: March 24, 1997

In situations where you're behind a firewall, or across a dial-up line, there
are times when you need to
make sure that programs (such as sendmail) do not use the DNS at all.

With version 8.8, you change the service switch file to omit "DNS" and use only
NIS, files, and other map
types as appropriate.

With previous releases of version 8 sendmail, you need to recompile the binary
and make sure that
"NAMED_BIND" is turned off in src/conf.h.

Note that you'll need to forward all your outbound mail to another machine as a
"relay" (one that does use
DNS, and understands how to properly use MX records, etc...), otherwise you
won't be able to get mail to any
site(s) other than the one(s) you configure in your /etc/hosts file (or
whatever).

Andy V. Oleynik
(When U aim for perfection,
 U discover it's a moving target ö80)