Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:49:08 +0100
From:      "James Wilde" <james.wilde@telia.com>
To:        "Doug Barton" <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Peter Chiu" <pccb@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: dig and nslookup

A recent newbie aha! experience for me was the realisation that */bin was
for client binaries and */sbin for server binaries.  :*}  However I quickly
realised that this was by no means universal, more of a tendency.  And I
can't for the life of me defend the hypothesis in connection with nslookup
and dig, both of which, one assumes, are clients.  Can it be that named -
the server - goes in sbin, and related binaries, even clients, landed in the
same place?  I am assuming here that nslookup is, shall we say, a closer
relative of named than dig is.

> 	Because nslookup is retarded.
>
> Doug
> PS, there really is no good answer. You shouldn't use nslookup anyway,
> just use dig.

Is this one of those religious wars of the vi/emacs sh/bsh/csh/tsh type?
Nslookup, like, say, vi and sh, can be found on all machines, even on NT
machines.  And for the most part it does the job.

mvh/regards

James