Date:      Wed, 02 May 2001 15:20:07 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, snap-users@kame.net, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au, altq@csl.sony.co.jp
Subject:   Re: (KAME-snap 4587) The future of ALTQ, IPsec & IPFILTER playing    together ...

Darren Reed wrote:

> Just because you have BPF does not mean you have a "packet filter".
> You need a whole lot of other infrastructure as well.
> Same goes for netgraph.  Both netgraph and BPF are enabling technologies
> but are not in and of themselves providers of solutions.

Darren, I think people do understand that. Since you compared BPF to
Java, of course you need more than the virtual machine, you need a
compiler (parts of tcpdump is a compiler to the BPF VM) and for
firewalling mechanism, you need a library of additional functionality.

I am just completely amazed about how many things there are that
basically do very similar jobs, like packet filtering/classifying.
While in general diversity is good, it is also a problem for the
developers and users of the *BSDs who try to apply these bits and
pieces as a complete functional whole. It also diverts developer
time if each needs to maintain his/her own packet matching/classifyer
code, and last but not least, it leads to kernel bloat.

So, I am still advocating for the great unification, but I understand
that I do that from the outside not being a developer of any of
those packages. Thus, I can understand if the developers dismiss my
calls.

Thanks anyway for your good work. I am still hopefull that some day
all those pieces will fall together to form a coherent overall system.

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine