Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 01:22:14 +0000
From:      Philip Reynolds <philip.reynolds@rfc-networks.ie>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "ipfw fwd" not working without static route?

Matt Abraham <mailing@novaconnect.net> 87 lines of wisdom included:
> I think in my case, a better scenario would be that I still
> want to have the meeting point in building A for everyone
> EXCEPT those from say, the Purchasing department; those
> indiviuals should go over to building B.

OK, however there is currently no route from A to B, so noone can
get through.

> Now the use of static routes become problematic because the
> route now only applies to packets that match a certain
> criteria, namely having a source address of 172.17.1.5. If I
> modify the netmasks on the box (and not use ipfw fwd), I
> change the behaviour for all packets coming through...not
> what I want to do.

I still think you can do what do you want to do by using subnetting
your network properly.

Crist did suggest an alternative with a ``dummy'' route. Perhaps
more details (including interfaces, IP addresses, network addresses,
subnets etc.) would allow us to look at the actual design of the
network (which is where I feel the flaw is).

--
Philip Reynolds                  | Technical Director
philip.reynolds@rfc-networks.ie  | RFC Networks Ltd.